Date:      Sat, 10 Apr 1999 15:09:06 +1000
From:      Richard Archer <rha@interdomain.net.au>
To:        freebsd-hardware@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: DDS-2/DDS-3 drives

At 13:40 +1000 10/4/1999, Dan Janowski wrote:

>The real problem seems to be the tape, not the drives. On good
>authority the recommendation is Maxell tape above all others, Sony,

I've had best results with Fuji tapes. I think Maxell and Fuji are made on
the same production line. I think Sony, Verbatim and 3M are same as each
other, but could be wrong.

>DLT is excellent. Very stable, good performance and capacity. But
>$4500-$4700 for a DLT-7000 is a chunk.

DLT-7000 has superior performance only if your system can stream data to
the drive at the speed the drive writes to tape. As soon as the drive has
to stop, rewind and resynchronize, the performance drops back to DLT-4000
levels, and the longevity of the drive falls remarkably.

In the systems I work with, DLT-7000 is only an option for backing up local
drives. As soon as I start backing up over the network, the DLT-4000 has
better performance and better reliability.

> I think DDS-3 drives are at
>or below $1k. The DLT-4000 is cheaper, but DDS-3 gets really close
>to the performance, and at a better price.

But DLT is head and shoulders about DAT for reliability. And with a
backup medium, reliability is the paramount concern, IMHO.

I wouldn't swap my DLT-4000s for any number of DDS drives.

 ...Richard.