Date:      Wed, 17 May 2000 23:10:16 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Omachonu Ogali <oogali@intranova.net>
To:        Ken Bolingbroke <hacker@bolingbroke.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: MD5 --> DES ?

On Wed, 17 May 2000, Ken Bolingbroke wrote:

> So, several months ago I installed a new server for our lab, and as I
> always do, I selected MD5 encryption for the passwords.  Now that I'm in
> the middle of setting up this machine as a NIS server for the various
> other machines in the lab, I find that some other flavors of UNIX don't
> like MD5.  Oops.
>
> OK, so no problem, I can actually keep a separate master.passwd file for
> the NIS accounts anyway, I just need to populate them with DES encrypted
> passwords.
>
> So my question is, how do I create DES encrypted passwords from Perl?  I
> tried compiling a new perl binary pointing at libdescrypt, but somehow
> crypt() still uses MD5.
>
> Ken Bolingbroke
> hacker@bolingbroke.com

Your problem maybe that libcrypt was statically linked to the Perl binary,
in that case you will have to recompile and link to the new libcrypt
(libdescrypt) library.

| Omachonu Ogali                                     oogali@intranova.net |
| Intranova Networking Group                 http://tribune.intranova.net |
| PGP Key ID:                                                  0xBFE60839 |
| PGP Fingerprint:       C8 51 14 FD 2A 87 53 D1  E3 AA 12 12 01 93 BD 34 |