Date:      Fri, 12 Sep 1997 18:28:28 +0000 (GMT)
From:      Terry Lambert <tlambert@primenet.com>
To:        mike@smith.net.au (Mike Smith)
Cc:        hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: IDE Zip drive, challenge!

> OK, so we all know that there are IDE Zip drives out there, and
> moreover that they are pretty cheap.  They perform fairly poorly, but
> media are cheap and the drives themselves are fairly ubiquitous.
>
> There's a local ISP building systems using them as boot drives for
> routers and terminal servers, simply because they can swap the OS on a
> system by rebooting it and changing disks.

I recommend against using non-fixed disk drives as boot drives on
machines that are ever going to run MS OS's, BTW.  There is a bug
in the removable media miniport driver in Windows 95/NT that will
cause cache corruption when you page from the device.

I know that this isn't an issue in this particular case, since
FreeBSD doesn't have the bug, but in case some of you were thinking
of going multiboot yourselves using a ZIP (or JAZ) disk.  The
exception is that with an AHA2940, you can specify that a SCSI
removable media disk be treated as a fixed disk; this causes it to
use the fixed disk driver instead.

The specific problem is in the IFS in the FS_OpenFile and FS_ReadWrite
with the R0_SWAPPER_CALL flag.  The NT code seems to follow the same
model, from what I can tell running WinICE.

> However, there are a couple of problems with these drives that need to
> be addressed by an enterprising IDE hacker with access to one of these
> drives.
>
> 1)	The drive is not locked when the disk is mounted.

Using the "designate as fixed disk" workaround will damage the ability
of your OS to do this at all.

> 2)	Once a disk has been ejected and another inserted, the disk
> 	reports an error condition that the IDE driver can't handle.

Using the workaround will damage the ability to eject the disk except
at boot phase.

In general, as well, IOmega is historically known for volume identifier
problems.  The soloution in UNIX drivers (which Darren Davis implemented
in UNIX-land) is to, as part of format, affix a volume identifier to
the disk, and monotonically increase th identifier on each format.  To
overcome this issue requires reading the identifier, and discarding
existing cached data.  You can watch for media change notification events
to decide when you need to do this.  For IDE, the check is unfortunately
vendor private.

					Terry Lambert
					terry@lambert.org
---