Date:      Fri, 6 Jun 1997 19:13:52 -0400
From:      Joel Ray Holveck <joelh@gnu.ai.mit.edu>
To:        scott@statsci.com
Cc:        davidn@labs.usn.blaze.net.au, chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: uucp uid's

>> We need a new protocol, imho. Not unlike smtp, or maybe even a
>> variation of smtp that is receiver driven.
>Seems you could add some commands to SMTP to say HELO and SEND me my mail?

You could.  You'd pretty well have POP when you were through.

What's the point in augmenting SMTP for a SEND extension?  Protocols
have their purposes for a reason.  SMTP is designed to send mail;
leave it there.  If you want to receive mail, you can design a
different protocol, or use a protocol that's been designed and
implemented already such as POP.  That way, other systems that need to
send mail only don't need to mess around changing their protocol to
meet the needs of extensions added for an entirely different purpose.

Happy hacking,
joelh

--
http://www.wp.com/piquan --- Joel Ray Holveck --- joelh@gnu.ai.mit.edu
All my opinions are my own, not the Free Software Foundation's.

Second law of programming:
Anything that can go wrong wi
sendmail: segmentation violation -- core dumped