Date:      Tue, 21 Dec 1999 17:40:25 +0100 (CET)
From:      Oliver Fromme <olli@dorifer.heim3.tu-clausthal.de>
To:        freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: SOFTUPDATES

chris wrote in list.freebsd-stable:
 > On Tue, 21 Dec 1999, Michel TALON wrote:
 > > To enable softupdates on / is very simple: boot -s at the loader prompt
 > > and do
 > >
 > > tunefs -n enable /
 > >
 > > It is my understanding that if you forget to enable softupdates in
 > > kernel conf the flag is simply not recognized and causes no trouble.

That's correct.

 > actually, you can't enable it on a mounted disk, you must boot off of the
 > kern and mfsroot floppies

That's not correct.  It is enough if the filesystem is mounted
read-only.  For the root filesystem, the easiest way to
accomplish that is to boot to single-user mode, as Michel Talon
wrote.

Regards
   Oliver

--
Oliver Fromme, Leibnizstr. 18/61, 38678 Clausthal, Germany

"In jedem Stück Kohle wartet ein Diamant auf seine Geburt"
                                         (Terry Pratchett)