Date:      Wed, 18 Apr 2001 08:42:18 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Rick Duvall <maillist@coastsight.com>
To:        Rino Mardo <rmardo@lycosmail.com>
Cc:        green <green@prokk.net>, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: hi

Well, it does need to have some sort of DNS lookup suceed, or no DNS at
all set up on the box.  If you remove /etc/resolv.conf alltogether, you
will be able to get in just fine when you aren't dialed in.  However, then
your box won't be able to resolve DNS at all.  I am assuming that you will
need to resolve DNS to some extent, and if you do, then you need to set it
up.

I personally use a null modem cable and connect the serial port of my
FreeBSD box to my PC and use it as a com-console at 115200 baud.  The
downside to this is that I can only run 1 terminal.  However, I don't have
to have the DNS set up.  Also, if my network card fails for some reason, I
don't have to dig out my monitor and keyboard to regain access to my box.