Date:      Tue, 11 Feb 2003 21:48:45 -0500
From:      stan <stanb@awod.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: XF86Config.

On Tue, Feb 11, 2003 at 09:29:53PM +0100, taxman wrote:
> On Tuesday 11 February 2003 12:48 pm, Peter van Eck wrote:
> > I've installed freebsd 4.6.2.
> >
> > I'm still having toruble to get my X window system to run properly.
> > It loads the X server succesfull but the display is isshowing 3 Vertical
> > stripes thru the Desktop.
> > The frequencies seem OK , but it is like the desktop is split up in 3.
> > USing an HP Ultra VGA 15 inch Monitior + a S3 Trio32/64 videocard .
> > XFree86 4.2.0
>
> > Anyone a suggestion for me to check/change ?
>
> Easiest way I can think of is to run knoppix and take the Xfree config file
> and copy it to freebsd.  Knoppix has some great hardware autodetection.  It
> has perfectly configured x on every computer I've tried it on.
> besides it boots to a perfect working kde setup.  I'd love to see more of the
> tools knoppix uses ported to freebsd.  Too bad I haven't the skills myself.
> the website is:
> http://www.knopper.net/knoppix/
>
> and a mini iso is available here:
> ftp://ftp.es.debian.org./pub/miniKnoppix

Interesting. I just booted a laptop that I intend to ru FreeBSD on in
Knoppix, and as you said, perfecy X setup. However, since It's booting from
the CD, where would I find the X config file? Do I need to isntall Knoppix
to have access to this file? If so, how do I do thta, since so far I've
only figured out how to _boot_ from thier CD, not install :-)

neither liberty nor safety."
						-- Benjamin Franklin