Date:      Fri, 25 Feb 2000 11:03:51 +0100
From:      Pascal Hofstee <daeron@shadowmere.student.utwente.nl>
To:        "Rodney W. Grimes" <freebsd@gndrsh.dnsmgr.net>
Cc:        Pascal Hofstee <daeron@wit401305.student.utwente.nl>, Garrett Wollman <wollman@khavrinen.lcs.mit.edu>, Chris Wasser <cwasser@v-wave.com>, freebsd-current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: dc0 wierdness with Compex Freedomline

On Fri, Feb 25, 2000 at 01:25:59AM -0800, Rodney W. Grimes wrote:

> There was a patch of DC21143 chips it seems that has a very strange
> thermal problem.  Can you tell me what your hub link lite is doing
> when you see this major slow down?

Nope ... as this machine is connected directly to the UTP-socket in the
wall .. which is connected to an HP-switch which is hidden in a locked 19"
rackmount (without a looking glass).

> If you abort all traffic does the link light keep blinking wildly?
>
> If you power the machine down for an hour or so and let everything cool
> down nice and cool does it seem to work for a longer period of time before
> the speed drops?

As far as i can remember leaving the system powered down for a longer
period of time indeed seems to make the connection work properly again for
a (little) while ... at least a short power-down to give everything a
chance to reinitialize hardly ever seems to be working.

> If you see any of these symptoms call Kingston tech support, describe
> the problem to them, ask them for an RMA number :-)
>
> What is the date code on your DC21143 chip (I think I am recalling that
> you said you had a KNE100TX, and I am assuming you do, and that it is
> of new enough vintage to be the 21143 chip, and that it might be in this
> same range of chips we had problems with (33% of 4 lots of 20 cards would
> go to la la land within 1 to 2 hours of being placed into burn in).

Well .. it's not my own system which is having these problems but of a
friend of mine ... I'll check this information with him today and have a
talk with the place that sold us this card.

Thank you very much for providing this insight ...

--
  Pascal Hofstee      < daeron @ shadowmere . student . utwente . nl >
  Managers know it must be good because the programmers hate it so much.