Date:      Mon, 14 Aug 2006 14:32:08 -0400
From:      John Baldwin <john@baldwin.cx>
To:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Cc:        Oliver Fromme <olli@lurza.secnetix.de>
Subject:   Re: installword with DESTDIR=/nfs doesn't work?

On Monday 14 August 2006 13:02, Oliver Fromme wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I just tried to do a "make installworld" with DESTDIR set
> to a directory on an NFS server.  It broke like this:
>
> ===> lib/libcom_err/doc (install)
> lockf -k /mnt/data/6.1-TEST/original-tree/usr/share/info/dir
install-info --quiet  --defsection="Programming & development
tools."  --defentry="* libcom_err: (com_err).        A Common Error
Description Library for UNIX."
com_err.info /mnt/data/6.1-TEST/original-tree/usr/share/info/dir
> lockf: cannot open /mnt/data/6.1-TEST/original-tree/usr/share/info/dir:
Operation not supported
> *** Error code 73
> Stop in /usr/src/lib/libcom_err/doc.
> *** Error code 1
>
> Am I missing something?  Is installworld over NFS supported
> at all?  I could swear I have done it before ...

I've been doing 'make NO_INFO=yes NO_FSCHG=yes installworld' to installworld
over NFS.  There doesn't seem to be anyway to turn off just the lockf for the
info files w/o turning off the info files altogether.  If you want to use
rpc.lockd, you need it running on both the server and client, but to be
honest, many folks run into problems with rpc.lockd, so unless you really
need it I'd avoid it.

--
John Baldwin