Date:      Thu, 17 Feb 2005 11:59:52 +0000 (GMT)
From:      Robert Watson <rwatson@FreeBSD.org>
To:        Juan Rodriguez <juan.fco.rodriguez@gmail.com>
Cc:        freebsd-net@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD 5.3 hangs on high network load

On Wed, 16 Feb 2005, Juan Rodriguez wrote:

> I've cvsup'ed the kernel sources a few hours ago (RELENG_5), and I've
> recompiled.
>
> Now I cannot boot, it gives me "kernel panic" when booting on
> "rlphy0"....this is really very annoying. I'm at work now, I cannot give
> you more details...it took me 4 hours to recompile the kernel, so Im not
> willing to do this again, if you are really interested in debugging, I
> will need your collaboration, I can give you an account on my system if
> you want to.

Most kernel panics can be debugged using easily extracted information from
a crash.  If you're interested in helping to track this problem down so it
doesn't persist in future releases, you'll want to do the following:

- Compile the kernel with the following entries in its config file:

  options	DDB
  options	KDB
  makeoptions	DEBUG=-g
  options	BREAK_TO_DEBUGGER

- Ideally, hook up a second system as a serial console for the first
  system, perhaps using a null modem cable.  This will allow you to copy
  and paste debugging output into an e-mail message, which can simplify
  things.

When the system crashes with a panic and the above options are present, it
will drop to the DDB kernel debugger instead of rebooting or hanging.  If
you're using a serial console, the output of the debugger will be visible
there.  The panic message will be displayed, as well as fault details if
there was a fault leading to the panic.  At that point "trace" will give a
backtrace.  If you could copy and paste that information into an e-mail,
we can then try to track it down.

Debugging the wedge/hang you were seeing earlier is also something we can
try to do using the same technique, but they can be a bit harder to track
down.  In that situation, the break to debugger option above will allow
you to break to the debugger on the console (ideally, the serial console,
again, since you can more easily copy-and-paste the output).

There's a chapter in the FreeBSD handbook on setting up kernel debugging
so that you can report bugs with sufficient detail that we can debug them.
Let me know if you have any questions.

Robert N M Watson