Date:      Mon, 08 Sep 2008 18:07:27 +0200
From:      Jille Timmermans <jille@quis.cx>
To:        Andrew Storms <astorms@ncircle.com>
Cc:        "freebsd-security@freebsd.org" <freebsd-security@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Question on recent PHP VuXML info

Andrew Storms wrote:
> Not sure if this is the correct place for VuXML questions, but the FreeBSD
> VuXML list ( http://lists.freebsd.org/pipermail/freebsd-vuxml/) looks pretty
> dead given the last update was in 2007 according to the archives.
>
> We were previously tracking this entry, which pretty much sat for a while
> without an applicable upgradeable resolution available.
>
> Affected package: php5-posix-5.2.6
> Type of problem: php -- input validation error in posix_access function.
> Reference:
> <http://www.FreeBSD.org/ports/portaudit/ee6fa2bd-406a-11dd-936a-0015af872849
> .html>
>
> -----------
>
> Then late last week, the same VuXML ID started reporting this information
> instead:
>
> Affected package: php5-5.2.6
> Type of problem: php -- input validation error in safe_mode.
> Reference:
> <http://www.FreeBSD.org/ports/portaudit/ee6fa2bd-406a-11dd-936a-0015af872849
> .html>
>
> ------------
>

> The generic question I'm asking is: What happened and why?  Seems to me that
> if you have a VuXML ID (which, I thought wasn't suppose to be re-used), then
> it's name and description shouldn't just apparently change one day.
There was an input validation bug in a function that was used in all
posix_ functions that used files (http://../ ended up in /) which
bypassed safe_mode.

> So is the prior "php5-posix-5.2.6" and the now "php5-5.2.6" with same ID,
> the same bug, a new description, does the newer supercede, etc, etc?  Where
> can I get the background on what went on here?
It was only in the posix module, not in entire PHP.

ale@ took the fixing patch from PHP-cvs and attached it as a patch to
the port a few days ago (or at least committed it)
Afaik the vuxml also updated then; and I think ale@ took a look at the
patch and changed the vuxml to say the portrevision with that patch
wasn't vulnerable anymore, and also clearified the description.

-- Jille