Date:      Wed, 18 Sep 2002 11:33:21 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Ted Wisniewski <ted@ness.plymouth.edu>
To:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Timeout - Broadcom BCM5701 Gigabit Ethernet

Hello,

	I am hoping that someone can point me to a solution for a problem
I am having with a "Broadcom BCM5701 Gigabit Ethernet" card/driver.

I am using FreeBSD 4.6.2 on a Dell PowerEdge 2650 that has 2 of these
NIC's builtin.  I have tried this on both NIC's and continue to get:

	Sep 18 08:56:05 myhost /kernel: bge0: watchdog timeout -- resetting
	Sep 18 08:58:00 myhost /kernel: bge0: watchdog timeout -- resetting

During the moments before the reset, all traffic stops flowing from the host
(the switch is still sending data).  I have also changed cables and ports
on the switch.  I have tried it with autoneg (both switch and host) and
hardwired to 100-full (both switch and host).

	The problem seems to be intermittent (not repeatable on any
kind of predictable pattern).  Traffic does begin to flow after the
"timeout -- resetting".  The lags between problem and reset can be
up to 2 full minutes.

Version of if_bge.c:

  $FreeBSD: src/sys/dev/bge/if_bge.c,v 1.3.2.14 2002/07/27 17:00:41 jdp Exp $

Version of if_bgereg.h:

   $FreeBSD: src/sys/dev/bge/if_bgereg.h,v 1.1.2.5 2002/07/27 17:00:41 jdp Exp $

   This file (if_bgereg.h) has been modified in the following way:

	#define ETHER_ALIGN 0

   I saw this change in the mailing list as a solution to get the card working.
   (Otherwise it did not want to pass traffic for more than a few moments).

So,  what might cause "bge_watchdog(ifp)" to be called?

Ted

--
|   Ted Wisniewski    		     INET:  ted@mail.plymouth.edu        |
|   Information Technology Services         ted@wiz.plymouth.edu         |