Date:      Fri, 15 Jan 1999 07:27:32 +0100
From:      Bjoern Fischer <bfischer@Techfak.Uni-Bielefeld.DE>
To:        Chris Timmons <skynyrd@opus.cts.cwu.edu>
Cc:        freebsd-current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: NFS woes: getting worse?

On Thu, Jan 14, 1999 at 08:03:46PM -0800, Chris Timmons wrote:

> I have duplicated on two pairs of machines a case whereby you have two
> -current machines as of ~20:00 UTC 1999/Jan/14 which cannot interoperate
> via NFS without corruption.

[...]
> 18034 bytes read by the NFS client, 19229 bytes read on the local system!
>
> The file shown in the kdump output above is "Makefile" (see path below),
> and we can see that it's true size is 19229.  This is just one instance of
> the problem.
[...]

Same problems here -- or even worse.

Running -current on a NFS-server and several diskless clients
attached to it (I like the silence at my desk), I get truncated
files and NFS-writes with a lot of ^@^@^@^@^@ and some other
garbage in it.

The ^@^@^@^@^@-pages stuff seems to be reported as a kernel bug
already.

I tried several options: NFS-3/2, tcp/udp, hard/soft, (w/o) intr --
without success.

At the time (src-cur.3702.gz/~12th Jan) even vi is not usable
at all on the client side with a couple of files.

Being very busy at the moment I don't have time to track this
down myself.

  Bjoern