Date:      Mon, 2 Apr 2018 13:27:12 +0100
From:      Mark Knight <lists@knigma.org>
To:        Eugene Grosbein <eugen@grosbein.net>, freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD 10.4 kernel breaks on i7-7700 / PRIME H270M-PLUS

On 02/04/2018 06:56, Eugene Grosbein wrote:
> What does it show if you press "CTRL-T" to see a status of "hung" process?

Typically CTRL-T shows [sysctl mem]. In some circumstances I can CTRL-C
(e.g. if su hangs), in others I cannot (e.g. with sudo).

> Does it help if you comment out the line mentioning /dev/console in the /etc/syslog.conf
> and apply the change with killall -1 syslogd ?

Doing that "killall -HUP syslogd" hangs with (sysctl mem) - as does
"service syslogd restart" but after a fresh reboot, no - removing that
line didn't help at all. Thanks for getting my hopes up :)

Moving ~/myuser/.bashrc out of the way (it really doesn't contain much
apart from setting a bunch of aliases), allows me to login as myself,
but "sudo -u myuser -s" still hangs.

I just got a truss output of "sudo -u myuser -s" per the file below,
perhaps that contains a clue?

# sudo -u myuser -s >& sudo.truss.log

	http://www.knigma.org/scratch/sudo.truss.log

Flipping back to a 10.3 kernel makes everything happy (just as well, as
the machine in question is my main router/firewall, so it's a right pain
when it's not working).

Thanks in advance for any fresh ideas; I'm really not sure where to go
with this!
--
Mark Knight