Date:      Mon, 28 Feb 2000 00:28:44 -0500 (EST)
From:      Omachonu Ogali <oogali@intranova.net>
To:        Steve Kaczkowski <steve@inc.net>
Cc:        current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Am I doing this right?

This comes from /usr/src/UPDATING, which contains important information on
upgrading, etc.

-- snip --
COMMON ITEMS:

	To build a kernel
	-----------------
	Update config, genassym and go:
		cd src/usr.bin/genassym
		make depend all install clean
		cd ../../usr.sbin/config
		make depend all install clean
		cd ../../sys/i386/conf
		config YOUR_KERNEL_HERE
		cd ../../compile/YOUR_KERNEL_HERE
		make depend && make
		make install

	To rebuild disk /dev entries
	----------------------------

	MAKEDEV should be copied from src/etc/MAKEDEV to /dev before
	starting the following:

		For N in the list of disks
			MAKEDEV N			# eg ad0
			for M in the list of slices
				MAKEDEV NsMa		# eg ad0s1a

	To rebuild everything
	---------------------
	make world

	Except when it doesn't work.

	To update from 3.x to 4.0 stable
	--------------------------------
	cd /usr/src
	make buildworld
	cd sbin/mknod
	make install
	<follow directions to build/install a kernel>
	<follow rebuild disk /dev entries above>	[*]
	reboot
	<in single user>
	cd /usr/src
	make -DNOINFO installworld
	make installworld

	[*] You may need to switch from wd to ad ala 19991210
-- snip --

On Sun, 27 Feb 2000, Steve Kaczkowski wrote:

> I'm trying to upgrade a 3.4 Release box to the latest Release tree, but
> running into a few problems, I'm betting someone here can help me! :)
>
> >From what I've found searching the mailing list archives and web
> pages,etc
> this appears to be the way to do things:
>

> I cvsup'd the the latest Release and all went well (no complaints),
> here's
> my supfile:
>
> *default host=cvsup3.freebsd.org
> *default base=/usr
> *default prefix=/usr
> *default release=cvs tag=.
> *default delete use-rel-suffix
> src-all
> cvs-crypto
>
> Nothing too strange there so I'm assuming that's ok.
>
> I then remove the /usr/obj directory
> do the 'make buildworld' which churns for a while (Only a P166)
> All seems fine with the build, now here is where I run into some issues.
> I've found some conflicting infomation as to what the next step is.
>
> One source says that I should recompile my kernel, reboot into single
> user and do a 'make installworld'. Makes sense but I can't recompile my
> kernel, I get errors like:
>
> config GENERIC
> config: line 20: Unknown machine type
> config: line 20: syntax error
> config: line 21: syntax error
> config: line 22: syntax error
> Specify machine type, e.g. ``machine vax''
>
> Etc,etc,etc,etc... It doesn't know ANY x86 CPU, funny enough it doesn't
> complain if I stick in 'machine vax'.
>
> Now if I do the 'make buildworld' then drop directly to single users and
> attempt
> the 'make installworld' it'll go for a bit and then finally error out
> with:
>
> install-info --quiet  --defsection="Programming & development tools."
> --defentry="* libcom_err: (com_err).        A Common Error Description
> Library for UNIX."  com_err.info /usr/share/info/dir
> install-info: unrecognized option `--defsection=Programming &
> development tools.'
>         Try `install-info --help' for a complete list of options.
> *** Error code 1
>
> Stop.
> *** Error code 1
>
> Stop.
> *** Error code 1
>
> Not quite sure what to check, I've done this probably 10 times now and
> it seems
> to do the same thing each time...
>
> Any hints?
>
> Thanks in advance!

| Omachonu Ogali                                     oogali@intranova.net |
| Intranova Networking Group                 http://tribune.intranova.net |
| PGP Key ID:                                                  0xBFE60839 |
| PGP Fingerprint:       C8 51 14 FD 2A 87 53 D1  E3 AA 12 12 01 93 BD 34 |