Date:      Mon, 14 Oct 2013 05:02:22 -0400
From:      Michael Powell <nightrecon@hotmail.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: SU+J Lost files after a power failure

David Demelier wrote:

> Hello there,
>
> I'm writing because after a power failure I was unable to log in on my
> FreeBSD 9.2-RELEASE. The SU+J journal were executed correctly but some
> files disappeared, including /etc/pwd.db. Thus I was unable to log in.
>
> I've been able to regenerate the password database with a live cd but
> I'm afraid that more files had disappeared somewhere else...
>
> I think this is a serious issue, the journal should not truncate files,
> so something should have gone wrong somewhere..
>
> Any ideas? Should I open a PR?

Not sure there is enough to go on for a PR, but something is weird.

Friday morning our power went down at home for about three hours after I had
already left for work. When I came home I found the router/gateway box was
OK. It is still with the old DOS mbr and disklabel scheme, with softupdates,
and is a pair of disks gmirrored.

The other box is my first foray into the land of GPT, along with SU+J. It
was sitting at the 'couldn't mount... Press return for /bin/sh' line. There
was an error indicating that replaying one or more journals had failed. I
was able to successfully fsck all the other partitions (besides /), then
rebooted and system came back up OK.

Both of these machines were recently updated to 9.2 Release from 9.1. It has
been approximately 9 months, or so, since I last had a power outage like
this one. Back then they were still 8.3 I think, did not have SU+J and
recovered just fine on their own.

This error about the replay of the journal(s) failing is somewhat
disconcerting. Beyond that, however, I do not have any other details or
data. Nothing to flesh out a PR, but thought I'd mention what I saw in
conjunction with your experience.

-Mike