Date:      Mon, 25 Jan 1999 14:33:25 +0100
From:      Kai Voigt <k@123.org>
To:        "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@zippy.cdrom.com>, stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Guinea pigs wanted.

Jordan K. Hubbard wrote:
> In the following shell archive you'll find a set of patches, to be
> applied relative to a 3.0S or 4.0C /usr/src tree, and a shell script
> which you should move into /usr/src/release/scripts.  Once you've done
> that, you should be able to type "make upgrade" to update your 2.2.x
> or 3.0C fully to an ELF 3.0S or 4.0C system (depending on what's in
> your /usr/src).

I installed a 3.0R last year, sup'ed the tag=. sources and "make upgrade"
is running now.  I just wonder why it's building tons of aout stuff now,
I thought 3.0R already was elf in userland and only the kernel needs to
be build with a new booting environment.

> THESE PATCHES ARE ALPHA TEST QUALITY!  They might just as soon destroy
> as upgrade your system and you should not do it on a production box
> (heh heh! :).  Until I've gotten some feedback on and committed a
> final version of these changes to the tree, they should be used by
> bleeding-edge types only.  These patches take you right up to and over
> the edge in one swoop, so be aware that if you set NOCONFIRM=yes
> you'll even get rebooted once the kernel and new boot blocks are
> installed.  You Have Been Warned, etc.

In a few hours (spare 100Mhz box), I will let you know how things turned
out.

Kai

--
kai voigt                                               hamburger chaussee 36
                                                                   24113 kiel