Date:      Wed, 12 Mar 2003 16:35:00 +0100 (CET)
From:      Marc Schneiders <marc@schneiders.org>
To:        "Janine C.Buorditez" <johann@broadpark.no>
Cc:        <questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: DNS: Wrong IP:s on GTLD servers

On Wed, 12 Mar 2003, at 13:00 [=GMT+0100], Janine C.Buorditez wrote:

> I have a DNS problem. I just got a new block of IP:s and I need to update the
> IP:s in the GTLD servers. I take it this is normally done through the domain name
> registrar, but in my case they only allow hostnames to be entered as nameservers
> and not IP:s (godaddy.com).

This is true for ALL registrars. Names not numbers. It is in the
nature of the DNS. The great advantage is, that you just have to
change one record if you change IPs.

> I see NS1 still has my old IP and NS2 still has the IP to my old secondary.
>
> Is the only way to fix this to contact Godaddy?

Yes. They may have a page on their site to do the IP number change. At
least some registrars do, e.g. Tucows or Enom.

It takes some time for the update of the IP number to propagate. So if
possible, leave the old numbers up for a bit. A day or two.