Date:      Tue, 23 Mar 2004 21:46:42 +0800
From:      "Zhang Weiwu" <weiwuzhang@hotmail.com>
To:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: tell sendmail to use a different dns server?

Zhang Weiwu wrote:

> Hello. I'm using the dns service on a router box. This router does
provide dns service, on which every computer in the LAN has a local domain
name (computername.our.lan)

> Now the built in dns server's function is limited; it does not relay MX
type of record. Thus sending mail using sendmail always get hostname lookup
failure.
> 1. If I change my name server address in resolv.conf to use my ISP's dns
server, I cannot access lan computers using local hostnames.
> 2. If I use our dns server, I cannot send mails through sendmail.
>
> So what should I do? Can I ask sendmail to use ISP's dns server, while
the rest programs use local dns server?

I just realized I can do this in resolve.conf:
====
# our LAN's dns server
nameserver 192.168.0.1
# ISP