Date:      Fri, 2 Apr 2004 10:51:32 -0500 (EST)
From:      Robert Watson <rwatson@freebsd.org>
To:        Benjamin von Mossner <benny@vonmossner.de>
Cc:        freebsd-fs@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: msdosfs and FAT16

--0-1323241231-1080921092=:26412

On Thu, 1 Apr 2004, Benjamin von Mossner wrote:

> i have a problem mounting my mp3player, attached via umass on FreeBSD
> 5.2.1. It is recogniced correctly (from my point of view).

Hey, I wonder if this is the same mp3player as the Acer multi-function
player I bought recently when in Taipei.

> Now when i try mounting, i recieve the following error.
> # mount -t msdosfs /dev/da0s1 /mnt/mass
> msdosfs: /dev/da0s1: Invalid argument
> #

Because that's certainly the same error.

> The device is found by fdisk, i "could" do a newfs for sure and
> furthermore i can mount it under Solaris 9, OSX and Billy-OS but not
> FreeBSD 5.2.1....
>
> Help would be greatly appreciated :)

There's some excessively strong sanity checking in the msdosfs code in
FreeBSD, which is commented out in Apple's version that they grabbed from
us.  I commented part of it out in -CURRENT to get my player working,
although not yet all of it.  You probably want
src/sys/fs/msdosfs/msdosfs_vfsops.c:1.119.  I've attached a copy of the
patch.  I have plans to merge this to -STABLE for 4.10, but haven't had a
chance to test it on a -STABLE box.  I don't anticipate any complications.

robert@fledge.watson.org      Senior Research Scientist, McAfee Research

--0-1323241231-1080921092=:26412
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--0-1323241231-1080921092=:26412--