Date:      Sat, 22 Nov 1997 03:19:46 +0000
From:      Brian Somers <brian@awfulhak.org>
To:        Grimm <grimm@shell.pgonline.com>
Cc:        support@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Help with ppp needed...

> I am having trouble setting up ppp for my 2.2.5 release of FreeBSD. The
> problem I'm having is that ppp seems to connect just fine, negotiate the
> ip (it's a dynamic IP I get from my service provider) and initiate a PPP
> session properly, but what happens is my DNS server is not recognized. ppp
> itself has no problems, just that whenever I try to connect to anything
> with a domain name, it doesn't work. I have read the online man pages and
> the bit in the handbook concerning my problem, the result being that I
> have set up my resolv.conf file (hopefully properly...) for the proper
> nameserver ip.
>
> Unfortunately, it still doesn't work. I would be grateful for any help you
> give me, and I'll send you my logs if you need them...

/etc/resolv.conf is the only thing required to get the DNS stuff
working - as you've already figured out.  The only thing I'd suspect
is that you've mis-specified the IP number (or even mis-spelt
``nameserver'').

You could always use tcpdump (or "set log +tcp/ip" in ppp) to see if
you get requests going to your DNS on port 53.  Tcpdump is better for
this sort of thing 'cos you can get it to just output stuff for a
given port.  With this info, you can determine if you're actually
sending the request out (and if the DNS is actually replying).
      <http://www.Awfulhak.org>;