Date:      Thu, 27 Jan 2000 01:31:24 +0000
From:      Mark Ovens <mark@ukug.uk.freebsd.org>
To:        keramida@ceid.upatras.gr
Cc:        Jonathon McKitrick <jcm@dogma.freebsd-uk.eu.org>, freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: editors question #2

On Wed, Jan 26, 2000 at 03:42:30PM +0200, Giorgos Keramidas wrote:
> On Tue, Jan 25, 2000 at 03:43:17PM +0000, Jonathon McKitrick wrote:
> >
> > In Greg Lehey's book, he states that he feels emacs is easier to learn
> > and more powerful than VI.  Obviously it is more powerful, but does
> > anyone think it is also easier to learn?
>
> Although I'm probably not helping you choose, I have to say that I'm
> using both of these editors, along with a bunch of others.
>
> For instance, when I'm on a virtual console, I don't run Emacs, but a
> lighter editor, like vi(1) or joe.  However, when I'm under X11, where
> I can afford that extra touch of color that Emacs provides, it's easy
> to see why I choose Emacs.
>
> Now, if I can get Emacs to quote and wrap descently my mail messages,
> I'll probably stop having editor=joe in my .muttrc and change it to
> something more fancy like editor=gnuclient, which I'd frankly prefer.

Well, firstly it needs to ``emacsclient', not ``gnuclient'' ;) There
is a mutt major-mode available (I'm using it now). Unfortunately, I
can't remember where I d/l it from but I've put a copy at

ftp://ukug.uk.freebsd.org/pub/mark/

> > Sorry to be hitting the questions list so hard, but we got hit with a
> > snowstorm and i have nothing else to do today ;-)
>
> Ah well, it seems that snowing in your place causes a load peak in
> freebsd lists.  Typical chaos theory example...
>
> Ciao.
>
> --
> Giorgos Keramidas, < keramida @ ceid . upatras . gr >
> "Don't let your schooling interfere with your education." [Mark Twain]

	"there's a long-standing bug relating to the x86 architecture
	that allows you to install Windows too"
				   -Matthew D. Fuller