Date:      Thu, 24 Sep 1998 12:15:47 -0400
From:      Mike Knoll <knollm@lafcol.lafayette.edu>
To:        Scott Mitchell <scott@dcs.qmw.ac.uk>, questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: XDM

>I don't think DES is your problem -- I've never installed it and my xdm
>works just fine.  How are you starting xdm?  And did you change any of its
>config files?  What's in your .xsession?
>
>From the error message it looks as though xterm is using a different
>authorisation cookie to the one expected by the server.  IIRC, the default
>xdm config starts the X server with an authorisation file buried somewhere
>under /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/xdm/authfiles.  If you're trying to use your own
>authorisation file (eg. with an XAUTHORITY variable pointing to
>~/.Xauthority) then you will have problems.  Probably that is what's
>happening.
>
>HTH,
>
>	Scott

I have no XAUTHORITY variable set.  I tried deleteing ~/.Xauthority, I
tried copying the authorization files in
/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/xdm/authdir/authfiles in my .Xauthority.  My .xsession
is only "xterm &"  I started xdm by logging in as root and just running
"xdm"  Every config file should be the default, except for my screen
resolution/refresh rate.

Also, I'm trying to log in locally using XDM, not remotely(not sure if I
said that earlier).

Thanks,
Mike