From:      "Artem Koutchine" <matrix@ipform.ru>
To:        <questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Question regarding harwdare perfomance

Hi!

I have a question regarding hardware configuration
selection for FreeBSD internet hosting server.
Currently we host about 30 sites with mysql databases
and heavy perl usage and about 40 simple static
sites. The box is dual Pentium III Xeon 550Mhz
with 512Kb cache and 1Gb SDRAM and SCSI 80Mhz
controller. (it is three years old now). Now we are
thinking about upgrading this to something more
current and powerfull. However, money is a concern and
i don't think we can afford cash out 5000 for dual Pentium
4 XEON 2,8MHZ with 1Mb cache. The other issue is "do
we really need it?".  I have several upgrade options and
i need more info on perfomance of each of them. Another
admin and I had a big argument where to use multiprocessor
system or uniprocessor and scsi vs ide raid. Maybe someone
could express his opinion on this matter.

Here are the possible options.

1) Leave everything as it is (describe above)
2) Build dual Pentium 3 1,4Ghz and SDRAM
3) Build dual Pentium 4 Xeon 1,4Ghz and DDR
4) Build single Pentium 4 3Ghz with hyperthreading and DDR

Moneywise N4 is very nice, but the question is
"Does N4 outperforms N3 or vice versa and why?"
and do we really need such power for the described
application?

So, basically the question what is better and why and
how much better
dual processor A X Ghz
or
single process B 2*X+Y Ghz ,where Y about 10% of X

Another big question is SCSI 160 vs IDE RAID controller
(namely HPT built in on the newer MBs). Which one
give more perfomance, why, and what are drawbacks of
each of them (except price)?

Best reagrds,
Artem