Date:      Mon, 31 Jul 2006 12:27:24 -0700
From:      "Kevin Oberman" <oberman@es.net>
To:        "Jack L." <xxjack12xx@gmail.com>
Cc:        ports@freebsd.org, Matthias Andree <matthias.andree@gmx.de>
Subject:   Re: tcl84 port upgrade fails in test

> Date: Mon, 3 Jul 2006 02:33:16 -0700
> From: "Jack L." <xxjack12xx@gmail.com>
>
> I have the same problem, all my boxes are running 6.1-STABLE but some
> install, some wont.
>
> On 7/3/06, Matthias Andree <matthias.andree@gmx.de> wrote:
> > "Kevin Oberman" <oberman@es.net> writes:
> >
> > > I have been unable to update tcl8.4 on my laptop running -current. I
> > > have one other system running -current, but it installed the upgrade
> > > correctly. It compiles without error, but if fails in the tests.
> >
> > Same here on RELENG_6 (aka. -STABLE),
> > although I haven't checked the details or looked closer at the failing tests.
> >
> > --
> > Matthias Andree

I found the problem(s) with this.

1. My firewall was blocking some tests. Some tests are run to loopback,
   but others run the the address of the hostname. My firewall was blocking
   the latter. Disabling the firewall fixed that one.

2. My hostname has multiple A records in DNS as the laptop may be
   plugged into as well as per-location names, but "hostname" is a
   constant and I has a 50-50 chance of getting the right one. I guess the
   previous attempt to install with the firewall disabled lost the
   coin-flip.

I added an entry to /etc/hosts for my system where it was REALLY
connect5ed and disabled the firewall. The install went perfectly this
time.
--
R. Kevin Oberman, Network Engineer
Energy Sciences Network (ESnet)