Date:      Mon, 1 Apr 2002 17:22:44 +0200
From:      Bernd Walter <ticso@cicely8.cicely.de>
To:        Christian Weisgerber <naddy@mips.inka.de>
Cc:        freebsd-alpha@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Source of "processor correctable error"?

On Mon, Apr 01, 2002 at 02:46:13PM +0000, Christian Weisgerber wrote:
> Since the weekend my PC164 has taken to almost continuously spewing
> gobs of
>
> Warning: received processor correctable error.

These are most likely main memory errors.

> In fact I first noticed this because writing the error messages to
> the serial console took so much time the machine became sluggish.
> I've switched to a graphics console now.
>
> Anyway, is there a way to narrow down the source of the underlying
> hardware problem?  What are the candidates anyway?  On-chip cache,
> off-chip cache, main memory?
>
> The machine has eight SIMMs (for a total of 256M).  I guess, I'll
> start by taking out half (and setting the memory width back to 128
> bits) and see whether this has any effect.

It's a good start.
You might also remove and reinsert the simms as the contacts get bad
over time.
If you can get such an error while in SRM it will print you a more
usefull message.
Theoreticaly you could get the simm slot number but FreeBSD doesn't
support it because there is no documentation for most boards.
Well the PC164 as an OEM board has a better documentation so it may
worth to think about implementing such a feature.
I often thought about hacking this board as the chipset could handle
up to 8G memory with 16 banks while the board only can do with up to
512M in a single bank.

ticso@cicely.de         Usergroup           info@cosmo-project.de