Date:      Thu, 18 Jul 1996 05:16:54 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Nathan Lawson <nlawson@kdat.csc.calpoly.edu>
To:        taob@io.org (Brian Tao)
Cc:        freebsd-security@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: suidness of /usr/bin/login

> On 16 Jul 1996, Michael Graff wrote:
> >
> > you can always use ``login foo'' and that is supposed to let someone else
> > log in, kinda in mid session and all.
>
>     Hmmm... that's hardly ever done, at least around here.  "exec
> telnet localhost" would serve the same purpose, I guess.

I run all my systems with login mode 500.  I also keep su group wheel, but not
world executable.  My justification for this is that there should only be one
legitimate way into the system (telnet/login), making it easier to monitor that
one door.  I see no reason to leave shell users with any method of switching to
another account without reauthenticating themselves.

Please note that this policy is used for my ISP's, and yours may vary according
to your application.

--
Nate Lawson                  "There are a thousand hacking at the branches of
CPE Senior                    evil to one who is striking at the root."