Date:      Thu, 30 Mar 2000 00:47:47 -0700 (MST)
From:      "Small, but frustrating." <kunze@CS.ColoState.EDU>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   binding to a linux NIS server

i am trying to setup my FreeBSD 4.0-Release machine to be a NIS client
to a debian linux box. I have read the howtos for both os's and everything
seems to be working pretty good. all the client apps (like ypcat) work
on the freebsd machine and display what i would expect them to. the only
thing that doesn't work seems to be login passwords. trying to log on
or change my password with yppasswd fails. I figure that the problem is
because of different crypt methods or something. Does anyone know how to
get this to work.

i even tried exporting the shadow.byname table, but again to no avail

thanks for any help

[this space irrationally left blank]

matt kunze