Date:      Sat, 14 Feb 1998 10:33:55 +0100 (MET)
From:      Luigi Rizzo <luigi@labinfo.iet.unipi.it>
To:        jkh@time.cdrom.com (Jordan K. Hubbard)
Cc:        nagao@cs.titech.ac.jp, nate@mt.sri.com, freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Problems with new sound code?

> > LINT includes the DEVFS option with a comment "experimental but seems
> > to work", so, don't you think it is better to make kernel compile smoothly
> > even with DEVFS?
>
> Actually, any references to DEVFS in -stable should probably
> be ripped out; it's unlikely that it'll ever be completed
> in that branch and I've certainly always seen it as a purely
> 3.0 related feature.

let's try to keep code simple... just remove/comment properly that
option in LINT and let's keep the DEVFS conditionals in -stable for
those pieces of code which already have them...

since people does a lot of driver development on their system of choice
(e.g. i am working on 2.2.X-RELEASE, Amancio on -current, other on
-stable...) it is a big advantage to have the highest possible
source compatibility between 2.2 and 3.0

	cheers
	luigi