Date:      Mon, 22 Mar 1999 12:27:52 +0000 (GMT)
From:      Brian Feldman <green@unixhelp.org>
To:        Peter Wemm <peter@netplex.com.au>
Cc:        Matthew Dillon <dillon@apollo.backplane.com>, Alfred Perlstein <bright@rush.net>, "John S. Dyson" <dyson@iquest.net>, samit@usa.ltindia.com, commiters@FreeBSD.ORG, freebsd-current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: rfork()

On Mon, 22 Mar 1999, Peter Wemm wrote:

> Matthew Dillon wrote:
> > :Hence the NEW flag RFSTACK. Why would this be a bad thing? This would keep
> > :the old behavior and allow much nicer new behavior. I didn't suggest
> > :changing the old behavior. This would just greatly simplify things so all of
> >
> >     I think Richard Seaman has it right:  the stack needs to be passed.
> >
> >     Why don't we simply implement the linux clone()?  It sounds to me that
> >     it would be trivial.
>
> Doing clone() in libc that calls rfork(2) and doing all the stack setup
> should be pretty easy..  (Richard has done it already, yes?)  On the other
> hand, the linux emulator needs it so there's a counter-argument for making
> it a proper syscall outright. Leaving the rfork(2) stuff unmolested and at
> least resembling it's plan9 origins probably has some merit - adding extra
> arguments would mess that up.

If we do varargs, then nothing could notice the difference. It's still
backward-compatible, but it would be more powerful. How could that break
something? Remember that the traditional int open(const char *, int, int)
was changed to int open(const char *, int, ...) without any incompatibilities.

> Cheers,
> -Peter

 Brian Feldman					  _ __  ___ ___ ___
 green@unixhelp.org			      _ __ ___ | _ ) __|   \