Date:      Sat, 21 Sep 1996 10:16:47 +0200 (IST)
From:      Nadav Eiron <nadav@barcode.co.il>
To:        Tim Provencio <tprovenc@CUSD.Chico.k12.Ca.US>
Cc:        support@cdrom.com, support@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Question on Problem

On Fri, 20 Sep 1996, Tim Provencio wrote:

> I bought FreeBSD a little while ago and love it.  I have had a few sucessful
> installations while bopping back and forth from operating system to operating
> system.  Recently I have a stumper....
>
> The configuration is as such:
> I run a Windows 95 machine that in the past has devoted part of
> a gig to FreeBSD.  Well I added a second gig for solely FreeBSD
> use so I can run both operating systems on the machine at once
> with a drive to each.  Soo...
>
> Machine (Pentium 100MHz, Triton, 16 Megabyte, Onboard I/O Controllers) has:
> Fujitsu 1 Gig, Master on Primary PCI IDE controller (dos & extended dos
> partitions)
> CD Rom (IDE), Slave on Primary PCI IDE Controller
> Quantum Fireball 1.2 gig, Master on Sencondary PCI IDE Controller
>    (set up using Novice FreeBSD install, was FreeBSD in another machine)
> Floppies, etc, no SCSI or anything else, only PPP networking
>
> Now, here is what happens...
>
> It starts up fine, boot selector working, etc.  Problem is when you choose
> to boot disk 2 (FreeBSD) it boots, goes thru detection of devices (haven't
> tuned out unneeded one yet).  It detects everything fine but when it comes
> to the time to mount the filesystem it says
>
> PANIC:
> Unable to mount root
> and then goes into an automatic reboot state.
>
> What gives... this is the only problem I've had with this software and I
> figured it had to be a real simple solution that I just overlooked. I have
> went back and checked the Installing & Running guide to no avail.
> HELP!
>
> Thank You
>
> ---Tim Provencio - Network Analyst
>     tprovenc@CUSD.Chico.K12.Ca.US
>     http://www.cusd.chico.k12.ca.us/~tprovenc

This is becoming a FAQ! You don't specify the version of FreeBSD you use.
I've seen this in 2.1.0, and I suspect it might be a bit different in
2.1.5, but the bottom line is:
Build a kernel, and make the configuration file have line that reads:
config kernel root on wd2

To make that kernel you'll have to temporarily move the disk to another
position (to get it to boot...). The best I think would be to put it on
wd0, do the complete installation, make a new kernel, change /etc/fstab,
and then connect it as wd2.

The other option is have the root partition on the first disk (I don't
think Win95 will miss those few MBs).

Again, I went into the subject in 2.1.0 days. If it has changed in 2.1.5,
please someone, correct me.

Nadav