Date:      Fri, 28 Mar 2003 09:51:44 -0500
From:      Mikhail Teterin <mi+kde@aldan.algebra.com>
To:        freebsd-mobile@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Seeking advice for mobile connectivity

Hello!

I'm specing my future laptop, which will be used primarily for travel.
FreeBSD support, lightness and long battery time are the primary
requirements.

I'd appreciate suggestions/comments :-) My main concern is the "world
wide" connectivity -- I live in the US, but a couple of times a year
travel abroad -- mostly Eastern and Western Europe.

Seems like I should get a GSM card... Which one? Do they look just
like a modem to the OS, or is there some GSM-wide "always on" kind of
connectivity (would it look like a NIC?)? I don't need much bandwidth,
but rather reliability and low latency. Do I have to have a contract
with one provider and pay through the nose when abroad, or can I buy
service locally when and where I need it?

Please, pardon my ignorance -- my cell phone is of a CDMA variety, which
seems to work better around here, but I have to leave it home when
traveling :-)

Thanks in advance! Yours,

	-mi