Date:      Mon, 17 Jan 2000 01:06:24 -0800 (PST)
From:      Kris Kennaway <kris@hub.freebsd.org>
To:        current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Mandating USA_RESIDENT

In order to know whether or not to build the patent-restricted RSA code,
the openssl build needs to look at the value of USA_RESIDENT, which isn't
set by default. If this value is unset, or anything other than 'NO'[*], it
assumes the user is in the USA and doesn't build the RSA code (or uses
RSAref if present). The problem is that a lot of ports depend on RSA being
there, so we need to be able to provide it if at all possible.

To that end, I'd like to add a check to 'make world' for an appropriate
value of USA_RESIDENT so it definitively knows which version to build.
crypto code obtained from freefall is no problem, but a lot of US people
probably get theirs from internat, so that version has to be able to
decide how to build. We should also ask users to pick a value in
sysinstall to cover the binary installation path (and document it in the
upgrade notes in case they don't use either).

In the long run I'd like to see sysinstall fetching an
international-version package of the openssl libraries if they choose
'no', but given the timeframe, we'll probably have to settle for
documentation explaining what to do manually (i.e. pkg_add the openssl-int
package, or the rsaref and openssl-usa-rsaref packages if they want RSA
support). Unless Jordan's obtained advice to the contrary yet someone else
will have to build the international version externally. I'll build the
USA package.

I'm not entirely sure this is the best way to go about things (it's a
messy area) - any suggestions are welcome.

Kris

[*] I should make the matching more flexible.

----
"How many roads must a man walk down, before you call him a man?"
"Eight!"
"That was a rhetorical question!"
"Oh..then, seven!" -- Homer Simpson