Date:      Sun, 1 Oct 2000 21:48:00 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Ken Bolingbroke <freebsd@bolingbroke.com>
To:        cjclark@alum.mit.edu
Cc:        stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: No UPDATING for RELENG_3?

On Sat, 30 Sep 2000, Crist J . Clark wrote:

> > I didn't do a binary upgrade, I cvsup'd RELENG_3_2_0.  The machine in
> > question doesn't have either a CD or floppy drive, and it also only has
> > 8 meg of RAM, all of which make binary upgrading a bit difficult.
> > Otherwise, I'd have wiped the machine and installed 4.1.1 fresh.
>
> Holy, @#$%! And you do buildworlds on this machine!? Sounds like a
> source upgrade would be even tougher. How long does it take to do one?

Pentium-133.  Doing a buildworld for 2.2.8 took 11 hours. :-)

> Can you not do sysinstall on 8 MB anymore?

Last time I tried it, no, and I seem to remember finding articles saying
the minimum RAM requirement is 12 MB these days.  That was for 3.x.

> If sysinstall does not work on 8 MB anymore, do you have another
> machine that you can use to help? That opens up a lot more options.

But mostly, this is just a fun exercise.  Just seeing if I _could_ do it
all the way. :-)  If it fails, I'll bite the bullet and get a RAM upgrade
then do a fresh install.  But it would be more fun if it works.

Ken