Date:      Sat, 19 Feb 2000 19:04:46 -0500
From:      "Tom Marchand" <unixwiz@mediaone.net>
To:        freebsd-security@freebsd.org
Subject:   Controlled Network Access

I would like to control which users can access tcpip utilities(ftp,telnet,
etc) by using groups.  I realize that this can be accomplished via the
proper file permissions on each utility.  This works but it will not prevent
somebody from compiling their own ftp, telnet etc.  My thought was to
perform the authorization at the socket level.  This would entail
modifaction of the kernel to only allow root or a member of the tcpip group
to open a socket.  Does anybody know if this has been done or if it would
even work?  I originally had this requirement at work to lock down external
vendors.  Since we are an AIX shop it was quite easy.  On AIX you must be a
member of the system group to access network utilities.

--
Think Different!
Think Apple!!