Date:      Fri, 19 Dec 1997 14:23:03 -0800 (PST)
From:      "Eric J. Schwertfeger" <ejs@bfd.com>
To:        Vikas Aggarwal <vikas@navya.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Increasing space for /etc

On Fri, 19 Dec 1997, Vikas Aggarwal wrote:

> I need to increase the size of my root partition (currently 15MB) to
> about 50MB since I have about
> 5000 users and rebuilding the password hash database fills up the
> partition.
>
> Any easy way to do this ?

No easy answer on this one, as the files in /etc get used even before
anything but / is mounted. you might be able to have the files needed to
boot in /etc on the root partition, then mount a larger /etc partition
over it, but that isn't supposed to work.

You might be able to get away with mounting an /etc2 and symlinking some
of the files into the other directory.

You might also be able to create the new database on another filesystem
and move it over the existing one, but then you have a "window of
potential disaster" when the password database isn't valid.