Date:      Fri, 7 May 1999 21:48:21 -0400 (EDT)
From:      "Crist J. Clark" <cjc@cc942873-a.ewndsr1.nj.home.com>
To:        media@mail1.nai.net
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG, cjclark@home.com
Subject:   Re: moused trouble

media@mail1.nai.net wrote,
> At 1:18 AM -0400 5/7/99, Crist J. Clark wrote:
> >
> >Is moused already running? What does your 'dmesg' output say (if
> >anything) about your mouse?
>
> Where would I find that??

You say it's a PS/2 mouse so try,

# dmesg | grep psm

To see the information about mouse detection. To check if moused is
already running, have a look at,

# ps -ef | grep moused

And it will catch a running moused process. Also, what lines, if any,
mention your mouse in /etc/rc.conf.

> >> No variation on moused -i seems to work either, although I'm fairly sure
> >> psm0 and ps/2 would be the protocol and type it would respond.
> >>
> >> I haven't found any mouse button settings from stand/install.
> >
> >Mouse settings are under "Configure" then "Mouse."
>
> Yes, however, there aren't any _button_ settings there.

Nope. That just picks the right driver. You'll need to tweak the
driver settings on your own. The entries for this will end up in
/etc/rc.conf, namely, a 'moused_flags' entry.

> >> Please, what am I doing wrong??
> >
> >The use of the mouse is fairly limited on the console. There is a much
> >more involved mouse setup if/when you do an 'xf86config'.
>
> I'm trying to do that too, but in the meanwhile the Handbook says that I
> can use the mouse to cut and paste without X.

You can, but I've never used it much myself. I have an Intellimouse
with a third button (that wheel-thing) so I have never actually had to
deal with this problem. If you have a two-button mouse, I would
seriously consider purchasing a three-button serial mouse; you can
find them for ~$10 US easily.