Date:      Mon, 27 Mar 2000 13:13:20 -0800
From:      David Greenman <dg@root.com>
To:        Dennis <dennis@etinc.com>
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Onboard Intel NIC

>If you dont have time then perhaps someone else should do it. THATS the
>point.

   PLEASE, someone else fix the driver!!! Please, please, please!!!

   There, did that help? Probably not. I don't know what point you're trying
to make. The driver isn't fixed because noone to this point has had both the
knowledge and time to fix it, not because I've been some sort of impediment.
I have yet to see a real fix for the problem. A real fix requires detecting
the type of SEEPROM (6 vs. 8bit address) and doing the right thing. If NetBSD
has it working, then great - I suggest that someone look at what they do and
form an appropriate fix. If that doesn't happen before I get some time to work
on it, then I will when I do.

>Its an important driver. People get upset when they can't run full-duplex
>mode. It makes linux MUCH more attractive when you can run your $39. card
>at twice the speed.

   Do you really think that whether some small number of Intel cards work
correctly in full-duplex with FreeBSD or not will have *any* measurable
effect on the attractiveness of FreeBSD vs. Linux? If that prevented someone
from installing FreeBSD, then I might agree, but let's be realistic.

>Whether you are angry at me or not is no reason to punish the communiity.

   How is me not doing free work punishing the community? The 'community'
should be happy that the driver (and FreeBSD!) exist at all.

>If you think that you are just doing this for me because I'm the only one
>with the nerve to complain then you dont understand your obligation to the
>user base.

   I do have an obligation, yes. I also have many other obligations.  Like
anyone with 5 times more to do than can be done in a day, I have to prioritize
and do the really important things first and if there is any time left over
to do "fun" stuff (like work on free software), then I do. Life hasn't been
fun for me for quite awhile.

-DG

David Greenman
Co-founder/Principal Architect, The FreeBSD Project - http://www.freebsd.org
Creator of high-performance Internet servers - http://www.terasolutions.com
Pave the road of life with opportunities.