Date:      Fri, 16 Jul 1999 15:08:41 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Ken Bolingbroke <ken@bolingbroke.com>
To:        hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Benchmarking server app on FreeBSD

I'm benchmarking the performance of a server application on various
platforms.  To do so, I've developed a program on FreeBSD 3.x to generate
heavy loads.  This program can, for example, generate 200 simultaneous
connections to the server and process them all appropriately, and I have
it running on a bunch of machines to simulate high load on the server.

However, I'm running into an unexpected problem on a server running
FreeBSD 3.2-RELEASE.  If a single client opens 200 simultaneous
connections to the FreeBSD server, all but 30 to 40 of those get an
immediate "Connection refused".  If a whole row of clients open 200
simultaneous connections each, they still get only 30 to 40 each, but the
server is now accepting upwards of 200 connections all at once.  This
seems to indicate that it's not a server load question, but rather that
the server will not accept more than ~40 connections at once from the same
client.

I've tried the same test using the FreeBSD clients against a Solaris
server, and the Solaris server accepts all 200 connections from each
client machine without refusing any connections, so I'm sure it's not on
the client end.

A fellow admin suggested that my load simulation program quite possibly
looks like a SYN attack and FreeBSD might be rejecting it for that reason.
Since Solaris doesn't have the same SYN attack protection, that would
account for the difference.

If this is the case, how would I disable the SYN attack protection for
these tests?  Or is it something else limiting FreeBSD?

For reference, the FreeBSD server has a custom kernel compiles with
MAXUSERS set to 512, and other performance enhancements I've gleaned off
these lists.

Thanks,

Ken Bolingbroke
hacker@bolingbroke.com