Date:      Wed, 18 Jan 1995 13:30:12 EDT
From:      "M.C Wong" <mcw@hpato.aus.hp.com>
To:        mcw@hpato.aus.hp.com (M.C Wong)
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freefall.cdrom.com
Subject:   Re: system crash

> Hi,
>   This is probablt not relevant here but we just got a power failure
> and all the workstations and the server went down without a chance of
> sync'ing properly, something went wrong with the UPS on the server, anyway.
>
>   Upon booting up today, all users using ksh hang and never got the shell
> prompt back. But if you set $HOME to something else, you can get ksh starting
> up properly. ie. I am using tcsh and I did :
>
> > setenv HOME /tmp; ksh
>
> it works ok!.
>
>   Does anyone out there know well enough about ksh and similar problem to
> this ? Note that we got 2 big servers, server1, and server2, where all the
> users' home are on server1:/users/<user_home> and for some <user_home> is a
> symb-link to server2:/users/<user_home>, and the above ksh problem seems to
> affect users whose home is physically on servers:/users/<user_home>.
>
>   Is there a remedy without rebooting both servers (anyway they have been
> rebooted this morning) ?
>
>   Thanks in advance.
>
> --

Sorry to follow up to my own message, and it turns our that the problem is
mostly evidenced as nfs locking problem from C++ compiler on HP, as for
programs using templates, HP C++ will attempt to lock the template repository
directory and that hangs forever, while compiling other programs not using
templates runs to completion.

This stimulates my curiosity. In our case, I guess lockd is waiting for server's
side lockd or statd to get back to it, but it is not happenning, this is
evidenced by the entries in /etc/sm.bak with the server's name, and according
to the man page it is the machine to be notified by statd upon its recovery.

My questions are :

1) What are the likely causes for lockd or statd not responding ?
   (rpcinfo -p server) shows registered nlockmgr and rstatd services.

2) Are things the same under FreeBSD ? And has anyone come across this type
   of problem, and how to fix it ?

Thanks in advance.

--
 M.C Wong 				   Email: mcw@hpato.aus.hp.com