Date:      04 Dec 2001 13:22:48 -0800
From:      swear@blarg.net (Gary W. Swearingen)
To:        "FreeBSD" <freebsd@datalinkwireless.com>
Cc:        "Free BSD Questions" <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: A new user with a question

"FreeBSD" <freebsd@datalinkwireless.com> writes:

> Hi all, I am relatively new to FreeBSD (and UNIX).  But I have to use it to
> setup some things for work.  I wasn't 100% sure which mailing list to post
> this to, but I figured I would start here.

Correct list.  Incorrect usage of the noun "setup".  :-)

> For it to work I need 2 ethernet cards enabled in the machine.  Now I was
> able to get the one card to work on boot up, but the 2nd card won't.  Now I
> added a command line to the rc.conf file to see if that would help but it
> didn't.

You should have said what that command was and maybe the ID of the 2nd
NIC and some people like to see your boot messages (dmesg).

You'll probably need to rebuild your kernel after editing its
configuration file to tell it that you want to use that NIC.  That's
described in the Handbook (freebsd.org and maybe on your disk).

There's a small chance that you need to edit /boot/kernel.conf as it
is able to disable drivers with a line like "di ed0".