Date:      Thu, 19 Apr 2001 01:03:18 -0700
From:      "Ted Mittelstaedt" <tedm@toybox.placo.com>
To:        "Jeremy C. Reed" <reed@reedmedia.net>, <freebsd-advocacy@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   RE: free C compiler? (was RE: Windriver, Slackware and FreeBSD)

none at all.  What you might be able to do is go find an old VAX BSD
distribution
and attempt to port the C compiler from there to FreeBSD.  It would probably
make an interesting Masters thesis project for someone.  But, your going to
end
up with a compiler that's truly archaic, non-ANSI C, and isn't going to be
able
to compile any modern code.  Plus that, the K&R C compiler in the original
BSD
UNIX system can certainly be traced all the way back to the original Bell
Labs
UNIX and it's compiler, so any old compiler you find is probably stuffed
with
encumbered code anyway.  By the time that any fruits of a project like that
would
be usable, you could have started from scratch with less effort.

>I'd be glad to use a free cc to build my own projects and try to build
>parts of a BSD source tree.

To come up with anything like gcc would take an enormous amount of work over
years and years, I just don't think that we are going to see this anytime
soon.
The best hope would be if some commercial operation were to release their
compiler
into the public domain.  But, I think that most commercial UNIX compilers
trace
their roots back to the original SYSV compiler.  Even gcc originated from
there but
mainly the ideas, Stallman took pains to ensure that no actual code was
carried
from the old compiler into gcc.