Date:      Fri, 05 Jun 1998 06:59:12 -0400
From:      Daniel McRobb <dwm@caida.org>
To:        Michael Gratton <mike@vee.net>
Cc:        multimedia@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: reccomendations for a video camera

> Hi people,
>
> What's a good PC camera to buy (black & white or color)? What software is
> available out there?
>
> I want be able to capture both individual frames and full motion video.
>
> Thanks..
> Mike.

I think that depends on at least 2 things:

  - how much money you want to spend
  - intended use

I shopped not too long ago and there seemed to be roughly a 3-tier price
range for stationary CCD cameras which can't work standalone: $200 and
under, around $500, and around $1000 (and more).  The $200 and under
cameras I found were either Connectix or Connectix-like (parallel port,
horrible interrupt load) or USB (unsupported AFAIK).  The $1000+ cameras
have it all, some including motorized speaker-following technology of
various types (good for video lectures).  I wound up with one in the $500
range, a Sony CCD-PC1.  Works well for me (though I'm not using the
cheesy ceramic microphone in the base).  Plugs in to a Wincast/TV card
(fairly standard fare for FreeBSD).

Intended use largely boils down to whether or not you want to be able to
use the camera for other things (or alternatively, whether or not you
want to use a camera whose intended use is not desktop computer
oriented).  A plain old videocamera works fine for motion video and
usually has both RCA and s-video out jacks plus audio.  You can use it
away from your computer, obviously (but if it's always going to be on
your desk, do you really want it sitting out all the time collecting
dust on all those moving parts?).  Software takes care of snapshots for
you (fxtv, for example).

I didn't look into handheld CCD snapshot cameras that also do
motion video since my interest was strictly desktop videoconferencing
and shots/movies of my crazy golden retriever in the home office.  :-)

Daniel
~~~~~~