Date:      Tue, 23 Nov 1999 10:00:16 -0500 (EST)
From:      "Chris D. Faulhaber" <jedgar@fxp.org>
To:        Mike <mike@sprawlnet.com>
Cc:        stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: error messages on console annoying

On Tue, 23 Nov 1999, Mike wrote:

> hi all.
> I am continually getting messages on my console whenever someone checks their
> email. The error messages are this:
>
> Nov 22 20:15:53 www popper[8162]: @[2Cust85.tnt4.mia1.da.uu.net]: -ERR Too
> few a
> rguments for the auth command.
> Nov 22 23:00:09 www popper[8298]: mike@[2Cust85.tnt4.mia1.da.uu.net]: -ERR
> Unkno
> wn command: "xsender".
>
> and I got this message today which was a first, so if anyone can enlightent me
> to what it means and how to stop getting these messages from popper to broadcast on the console it would greatly be appreciated.

The messages are caused by generally caused by Netscape's mail client; see
qpopper's FAQ for more information.

The reason you get the messages on the console is due to the way syslog is
logging messages (see the /dev/console line in /etc/syslog.conf).

-----
Chris D. Faulhaber <jedgar@fxp.org>  |  All the true gurus I've met never
System/Network Administrator,        |  claimed they were one, and always
Reality Check Information, Inc.      |  pointed to someone better.