Date:      Mon, 19 Aug 2002 21:41:50 +1000
From:      "Leigh V" <leighv@roq.com>
To:        <stable@freebsd.org>
Subject:   ftpd log idea suggestion

I don't know where to post suggestions for new ideas / features so I decided
to post here.
I wanted to code up a byte accounter for ftp usage for the bsd ftpd server.
I quickly noticed that the ftpd log file (with -ll) doesn't do enough
helpful logging for ftp transfers to log for a per user byte total.
It would be good if the ftpd server could log with the users name at the end
or somewhere else in the ftpd log line such as my example below.

normal ftpd logging with -ll
Aug  3 16:52:22 mikey ftpd[92674]: put
/usr/home/michael/uploadtest/icq2002a.exe = 4078456 bytes

being able to start ftpd with -lll or -lle with extra username logging code
Aug  3 16:52:22 mikey ftpd[92674]: put
/usr/home/michael/uploadtest/icq2002a.exe = 4078456 bytes michael

My limited byte counter perl script (only does total transfers without
knowing individual users transfer totals)
#!/usr/bin/perl
open(INFILE, "/var/log/ftpd.log");
  while (<INFILE>) {
#s/^$domain:.*//g;

if (/.*: (put)/) {
                /= (\d+) bytes/; $u = $1;
                $utotal += $u;
                 }
if (/.*: (get)/) {
                /= (\d+) bytes/; $d = $1;
                $dtotal += $d;
                 }
  }
  close(INFILE);
print "Upload total $utotal\n";
print "Download total $dtotal\n";

Any chance somebody could do this? I would really appreciate it :)

Thanks all

http://roq.com/bsd/