Date:      Wed, 3 Apr 2002 10:17:51 +0930
From:      Greg 'groggy' Lehey <grog@FreeBSD.org>
To:        Scott Long <scott_long@btc.adaptec.com>
Cc:        Rakesh Malewar <rakesh_malewar@yahoo.co.in>, freebsd-fs@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: LVM support

On Monday,  1 April 2002 at 23:35:04 -0700, Scott Long wrote:
> On Tue, Apr 02, 2002 at 07:33:28AM +0100, Rakesh Malewar wrote:
>> hi,
>>
>> Can you please tell me wheather there is any support
>> for LVM(Logical Volume Manager) in FreeBSD 4.5
>>
>> and if no then is there any work going on or is any
>> one doing some project on LVM ..?
>>
>> wheather you are going to give any support to LVM in
>> your future FreeBSD releases...?
>>
>> If no then what are the drawbacks of LVM.. ?
>
> I assume that you are referring to the LVM for Linux.  I'm not aware
> of any *public* efforts to port it.  The vinum driver does, however,
> act as a logical volume manager in many respects, and may be
> suitable to your needs.

I know a number of people involved in the Linux storage systems area.
With one exception, they all *hate* LVM.  A number have looked at
Vinum and would have liked to have it on Linux.  I don't see any
advantage in porting the Linux LVM to FreeBSD.

Note also that LVM only has some of the functionality of Vinum.  In
particular, you'd need the md or raid drivers as well.

Greg