Date:      Wed, 20 Sep 2000 19:35:13 +0100
From:      Mark Ovens <marko@freebsd.org>
To:        Antoine Beaupre <beaupran@IRO.UMontreal.CA>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: PnP modem not recognized at boot, but by pnpinfo(8)

On Wed, Sep 20, 2000 at 02:16:58PM -0400, Antoine Beaupre wrote:
> This is a mess. I don't know exactly how I got it to work. I don't think
> that the PnP OS has something to do with BSd problems but then again..
>
> I have to run some test before commiting myself.
>
> However, I am now sure that it was not a kernel problem. (well, I did have
> to add the modem's PnP ID to /sys/isa/sio.c and recompile the kernel).
>
> If I setup my com2 (sio1) in the BIOS correctly, (IRQ3, 2f8),

Are those the settings on the ``device sio1 ....'' line in your kernel
config file?

FWIW, what I would do is to get it working under FreeBSD. Note the
settings it is using (from the boot messages). Then boot Windows and
check if it *really* isn't found or whether it is found, but doesn't
appear because of a conflict.

Use Control Panel->System, devices tab and, if your modem appears
(probably with a yellow ``!'' or red warning icon) check the
properties for conflicts, and resolve them (making sure your modem
ends up with the same settings as in FreeBSD).

Let me know how you get on.

		4.4 - The number of the Beastie