Date:      Tue, 15 Jan 2002 15:23:49 +0100 (CET)
From:      =?iso-8859-1?q?m=20p?= <sumirati@yahoo.de>
To:        Joe & Fhe Barbish <barbish@a1poweruser.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Lan Speed problem?

Joe & Fhe Barbish wrote:

> I have a test bench with a FBSD gateway with 1 Nic card.
> No user ppp or firewall. Very simple. Nothing else running.
> The Nic card is connected to a Winbox with a crossover cable.
> Some times the response time on the Winbox is almost
> instantaneous and other times it's about one quarter the speed.
> The slowness is so obvious that I started taking bench marks.
> Using telnet on the Winbox to the FBSD server, some times I
> have to wait for the login screen to appear and when entering
> the user id some time the letters take 2 or 3 seconds to appear.
> After getting logged in I edit a file and using the arrow button
> to scroll down the screen hesitates a lot.
> Other time the speed is as if I am editing from FBSD console.

Ah. Just a side comment: Don't use telnet. It is to easy to get used to it -
and use it then without thinking when security is a concern.

> I needed some real numbers to compare speed so I started using
> FTP Lite on the Winbox to download a file from
> FBSD /usr/home/userid/dmesg.boot. I put this file there to have a
> test file.
> All the speed tests start off with booting the FBSD gateway box
> followed by booting the Winbox. I then fire up FTP and download
> the test file dmesg.boot.
>
> One test I got results of 15.3 to 15.7 duration times with
> 72.40 to 72.98 KBps transfer rates. I got a tightly packed group
> of results doing the same download file 15 times.
>
> I shutdown both machines and redo the same test and I get FTP
> results of 30.3 to 40.7 duration times with 30.7.40 to 36.48 KBps
> transfer rates.
>
> Now I would think using machines that are basically doing nothing
> except this single task should have repeatable very fast
> download times no matter how many times the hardware in booted.

The both machines are doing nothing than this simple task. Ah, your are using
the GUI with Windows and have your Virusscanner running? And you don't bother
to shutdown all the other daemons running on the FreeBSD box?
You meant "this simple task beside from the programs running normaly in the
background". This is a great difference for benchmarking (your Virusscanner
will scan every incoming file written to the local filesystem - so that will
make it a little bit slower - but not as much as seen).

> I checked the Nic cards in both machines, there set at 100baseT
> Full duplex.

Good you checked this.

> I have dialed in to my ISP and have better FTP results than
> this over the internet.
>
> Does FBSD have a problem with crossover cables?

No, it don't have.

> Any ideas?

Hi Joe,

which version of FreeBSD you are using? 4.4-RELEASE?

IF you are using it, you should consider updating to 4-STABLE or 4.5-RELEASE
(when it is available). There was some ranting about bad TCP/IP performance in
the 4.4-RELEASE IIRC (but i can not proof it, since my searches turned out
nothing - but it was mentioned on freebsd-stable some days ago).

Hope that helps

Marc