Date:      Tue, 8 Jan 2002 12:38:20 -0700
From:      "Aaron D. Gifford" <agifford@infowest.com>
To:        questions@freebsd.org
Cc:        chris@northernbrewer.com
Subject:   Re: strange ports problem: Undefined symbol "iconv_open"

Back on August 16, 2001, Christopher Farley (chris@northernbrewer.com)
wrote:
>I'd post this to freebsd-ports, but this is obviously a problem with my
>machine, and not the port...
>
>I'm trying to install /usr/ports/x11-toolkits/py-wxPython. When I import
>the wxPython module, however, I get this ImportError:
>
>| File "/usr/local/lib/python2.1/site-packages/wxPython/__init__.py",
line
>| 20, in ?
>|     import wxc
>|     ImportError: /usr/X11R6/lib/libwx_gtk.so: Undefined symbol
"iconv_open"

>On a different FreeBSD machine, everything installs flawlessly.
>
>The md5 hashes of libwx_gtk.so are identical. I pkg_deleted every
>Python-related port and re-installed from scratch, but get the same
>error.
>
>Does anybody have any suggestions on how I begin troubleshooting
>this problem?
>
># uname -a
>FreeBSD seward.nbrewer.com 4.4-PRERELEASE FreeBSD 4.4-PRERELEASE #6: Fri
Aug  3
>16:22:33 CDT 2001 chris@seward.nbrewer.com:/usr/obj/usr/src/sys/SEWARD
i386

>--
>Christopher Farley
>www.northernbrewer.com

This describes my home system perfectly.  For months now, no matter how
much I clean out my /usr/local and ports stuff and rebuild from scratch,
the py-wxPython port never works on this system.  From what Christopher
said, it must be a configuration problem somewhere, but I have no idea
where to look.  I've tried installing various iconv ports to no avail.
I've deinstalled all ports, wiped out my /usr/local directory, deleted
/usr/ports and /usr/src, cvsupd a new source and ports tree, rebuilt the
system, and installed the ports again, but the same problem occurs.

I would have submitted a PR had I not read that Christopher had two
systems, on one of which the port worked.  Also, were the problem more
widespread, I could not imagine it not having already had a PR opened.

Any ideas?

To Christopher I ask: Have you figured it out yet, or fixed it, or heard
anything useful from anyone?

Aaron out.