Date:      Wed, 28 Feb 2001 09:37:32 -0600
From:      Mike Meyer <mwm@mired.org>
To:        "Power JeSsIe!" <jessie@power-jessie.net>
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: bsd logo

Power JeSsIe! <jessie@power-jessie.net> types:
> i'm just wondering why is it that the
> bsd logo is a little red devil?
>
> http://www.freebsd.org/copyright/daemon.html
> said :
>
> "Many people equate the word ``daemon'' with the word ``demon,'' implying
> some kind of Satanic connection between UNIX and the underworld. This is an
> egregious misunderstanding. ``Daemon'' is actually a much older form of
> ``demon''; daemons have no particular bias towards good or evil, but rather
> serve to help define a person's character or personality. The ancient
> Greeks' concept of a ``personal daemon'' was similar to the modern concept
> of a ``guardian angel'' --- ``eudaemonia'' is the state of being helped or
> protected by a kindly spirit. As a rule, UNIX systems seem to be infested
> with both daemons and demons." (p403)
>
> but if daemon doesn't mean a demon,
> why is it that the logo is like that?
> a little red fellow with horns,tail and  a fork...
>
> can someone enlighten me pls...
> i've heard that the fork in the logo
> symbolizes UNIX...

Because it's part of the imagery of religions that competed with
christianity during the middle ages. Much of that - witches, black
cats, the number 13, snakes, etc. - was painted as bad by the church
at that time to help in their crusade to convert the pagans.

In a way, it reminds me of MicroSoft marketing. Which makes it all the
more appropriate.

	<mike